Friday, February 16, 2018

Sizing Up the CFL

Hubby was getting his hair cut so I thought I'd pop in to the Rider store and take a look around. I always go to the men's side. I buy men's tee shirts and tank tops and even sometimes shorts.  I browse through the ladies but never spend very much time in that section. I'd love nothing more than to buy a ladies tee shirt with some glitter or feminine design but the fact is they just don't fit.  I've been there and I've done that. Some of the woman's shirts go to a 3X but they really aren't designed for the voluptuous wing eating female football fan in mind.  This is a HUGE flaw in the CFL marketing scheme.

I've been known to place orders online to a store called Torrid. You may have even seen ads in the sidebar for them.  They specialize in sizes 10 to 30...00 to 6X.  Totally by accident I discovered they have NFL licensed tee shirts --> NFL Plus Size  While they don't always have every team in stock, they are a plus size retailer who carry football wear in sizes that a regular woman can wear without feeling bad about how she looks and feels while cheering on her team.

Imagine that.

Roughrider mens jerseys go to a size 4X and I'd presume that's because they require sizes to fit lineman on the team. Ladies jerseys go to a 2X but don't let that deceive you. If you are a frequent shopper at plus size retailers across Canada this 2X will not fit you.  The ladies jersey costs $99.99 and the mens costs $119.99. If you are a true plus sizes woman you need to spend $20 more to buy a mens jersey that will actually fit.  I use the word "fit" loosely because while the size is correct the fit is actually too long in the body and sleeves.  There are indeed many female football players, how would a female who is a lineman fit one of these jerseys? They wouldn't and yes I know women also don't play in the CFL. I am merely making a comparison to show how the sizing is outdated as well as the pricing unrealistic.

If you aren't the roundish shape that I am this sizing issue could still affect you. Let's say you go to the gym regularly and regularly take care of yourself. You wear a medium or large in your favourite stores. It's entirely possible you will require an XL in a CFL store.  What does that do to your ego? What does that say to anyone struggling with body image?  It's not good.  Not good at all.  Several years ago before my thyroid issues began I was a ladies XL and guess what? The youth XL was the exact same size as the ladies XL.  Yes, the YOUTH!

Now let's talk textiles. I have a couple very comfortable men's tee shirts. The fabric is soft and while the crew neck structure is boxy I feel good when I wear them. A ladies tee shirt is usually a V-neck and the fabric can be transparent while also containing spandex which also makes it clingy and hot. Imagine sitting in the hot July sun at Mosaic Stadium in something like that.  I'd choose the men's version every single time but I shouldn't have to.  I'd choose it for another reason too - they can be tossed in the washer and dryer with little fear of shrinkage while the majority of women's clothing needs to be hung to dry or it will never fit the same again.

We tell ourselves things like "the size on the tag doesn't define me" but guess what...having to buy a size two sizes larger sure doesn't help how you feel about yourself either.  Having to wear a tank top under your shirt or a bunnyhug over top defeats the purpose of wearing your teams colours altogether.  Where is the standard in sizing? Why doesn't the CFL seek out a manufacturer with standard sizing? Why don't they partner with a plus size retailer so that EVERY fan can dress in their teams gear?

I've purchased Roughrider clothing at Walmart and Giant Tiger that fits better, is more comfortable and is a better fabric than that from a Rider Store. I really don't like doing that because whenever a fan makes a purchase at a team store that team gets 100% of the proceeds whereas when we buy things in other stores that money gets shared with the CFL first and then the team. When I help the economy in the Rider Store I also gain Rider Rewards for being a Season Ticket Holder. I would much prefer to be able to shop in the Rider Store for all my Rider needs!

Diversity is Strength.  Every fan in the CFL is a cheerleader but the majority doesn't wear the same size as one.  Every fan, male or female, young or senior deserve to be able to dress for a football game or just casual Friday in something they love.










8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow my comment to your post was deleted! Darn technology.

    You’re writing about what I have been saying for years. I can’t shop in the ladies section in the Rider store either. My jersey is men’s. All of my rider T-shirts from the rider store are men’s. Unlike a man, I have a waist and so the men’s T-shirts make me look boxy instaed of showing off my curves.

    Maybe someone from the Rider Store will see your post and consider us in their clothing order? If Torrid can sell great shirts (I love Torrid too!), so should the Rider Store be able to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comment! So weird the first comment has disappeared. Maybe a glitch in the system. I've emailed our CFL Commissioner this blog as I've received numerous responses all over social media about this problem. Hopefully we can change it together!

      Delete
  3. My fear is that Torrid will have Rider gear in my size before the CFL does! Let’s hope this awareness and advocacy makes for changes in the CFL stores. -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a change doesn't happen at least we know we aren't alone in this. I can't imagine the league marketers ignoring us though. Imagine the $$ they're missing out on.

      Delete
  4. I have had this discission with numerous employees & managers - both male & female - at every Rider Store I've ever shopped in. I have 1 Ladies shirt in plus size that I do wear but as you said, its a warm cotton & spandex crossover tank creation that I have to pin because its made for busty plus size ladies, of which I am decidedly not (my forever complaint at plus size stores)! Finding this shirt was a fluke, my first time in the new (at that time) Grasslands store and my Mother actually found it since I never bother to shop the ladies side except for jewelry!

    You mentioned pairing with a Women's retailer in your post. Reitman's Canada is a Canadian company based in Montreal & owns Reitmans, Penningtons & Addition-Elle as well the maternity store Thyme and some other brands. Between those 4 stores, they could capture a broad spectrum of female shoppers in all shapes, sizes, ages & life stages! A Canadian owned & based company who controls the market & owns the major market share for Plus Size. Something even the CFL office guys should comprehend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wouldn't that be completely amazing if they picked up ladies branding? More and more stores are noticing the need for larger sizing. Back when I was assistant manager at Wearhouse One Jeans the sizing of ladies shirts only went to XL and so I had to wear the mens tee shirts as it was stipulated I had to wear company clothing. Anyhow, back then there was just talk of expanding to plus sizes. Guess what? They have it now. I can go in there and buy a 3X tee shirt and pants and they fit great. They're still working on it but it is so much better than it once was. They are also a Canadian company based in Winnipeg! Which is the home of our Commissioner. There are options I just don't think the right people know and care and are willing to do anything about it.

    Thanks for your comment Heather! Hopefully I've raised awareness and can get some answers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The CFL Shop's idea of big and tall for Men is a 2x and it's the same for a lot of places in fact some places consider XL to be big and tall.Your New blog layout looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete