Friday, February 23, 2018

Weighing A Response

Thank you so much for the response to the blog I published last week entitled  "Sizing Up the CFL".  I heard from numerous people in the comments of this blog as well as Twitter and the All Rider Fan page.  I was overwhelmed by the kind an sympathetic words from everyone regarding the sizing issue of all CFL merchandise and marketing.  From the bottom of my heart, I thank you, it honestly means so much to me that I wasn't alone in my thinking and that You even read my blog in the first place!

This particular response from Sue Turner was amazing to me:

THANK YOU 🙏🏻 Sandra!!  You totally rocked my world with that blog post!!!!!
I am not petite or small boned (and please ladies, I am not hating on you if you are!).
I have a helluva time finding any CFL gear to fit properly —- and, yes, I too buy guys or “unisex”, but sometimes even those “one-size-fits-all” means “all-but-me”!  Is it because so much is made off-shore and their models are petite?  I don’t know 🤷‍♀️.
I am glad I’m not the only one with this issue or these feelings!!
Maybe we need to push the envelope and chase the dream of having “real” clothing sizes available in CFL licensed wear!!!

At the urging of my fav Redblacks fan Hippie (@RBeesFan) I emailed Randy Ambrosie Commissioner of the CFL my blog.  I wanted him to know that along with these current promotions of Diversity is Strength and Bring It In that a large number of fans actually aren't included nor can they dress in their favourite teams gear because the sizing and styles do not include them.  I believe he read what I emailed him and likely forwarded my email along to those who are in charge of such things.  I'd like to believe that he and/or people who work in the CFL heard my words.

On February 20th I received an email from Clare Hutchinson Assistant Communications.

Hi Sandra;

Thank you for contacting the CFL! We appreciate you taking the time to write to us with your concerns and suggestions.

We’re currently in the middle of updating our retail model (as well as CFLShop.ca), so we very much appreciate this feedback. Often current order trends limit the items and sizes we can offer, but we agree that that can’t be an excuse and that we should always be doing our best to serve ALL our fans. Every fan of every team deserves to have stylish, comfortable clothes to wear their pride on their sleeve (if you’ll excuse the pun), and although we’re not currently there yet, we’re working hard behind the scenes to ensure we have great apparel available and accessible for all.

Thanks for being a fan, and I hope you’re as excited for the upcoming season as we are.
Best,
-c

While lot's of this reads to me and others a little like "fluff" it also says a few things to me.  They are updating their retail model.  They've recognized a problem of some kind and realized what they're doing isn't very successful. Does that include clothing? Who knows.  "Current order trends" means to me (because I have 5 years of retail experience under my belt) that their suppliers can only provide a limited amount of styles in the sizing we desire - which face it, is nothing for any of us who shop at plus size retailers like Pennington's, Addition-Elle or Torrid.  "That can't be an excuse." <-- They're hearing us with our complaints and lack of sales dollars coming in but while they might hear us there's likely little they can do or are willing to do about it.  It's a mixed message isn't it.

Before we pick up our torches and march to the closest Rider Store in protest, I can't help but think at least that response is something.  They could have just passed the buck.  They could have not put any thought or time into a response at all.  They could have easily mumbled something about crazed lunatic Rider fans and hit the delete button. 


I am one fan who is very over trying to fit clothes that don't feel good or look good. Until it changes I won't be spending my hard earned piano teaching money on more merchandise.  Let's face it...I, like a lot of other Rider fans, can dress in green for a week and never run out of clothing. When the Rider Store and other CFL stores get in the sizes and styles that include everyone I'll spend my money there again.  Sooner or later they will be forced to provide the clothing All of us can love.


I posted a very informal poll on Twitter to find out who in CFL households buys the merchandise. If the fan was single I asked them to choose the male/female equivalent.  46% of those who responded are women who do the purchasing. Interesting, right?  Women hold the power in this situation and we can help effect a change.



I'm not willing to give up on this subject.  I hope you aren't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment