Wednesday, May 2, 2018

TGDC

T. G. D. C.

Thank Goodness for Duron Carter.

Besides my own vacation to the Big Apple over Easter little has happened in the CFL. Every team has had their mini camps and we are awaiting the CFL draft on Thursday but really most of us fans are just sitting here waiting for any shred of news that will raise our excitement for the upcoming season.  So when Duron Carter tweeted out that the Riders should change the entrance song of the team for game day because Bring Em Out is corny, well of course we jumped all over it.  The debate has broken up the doldrums and thank goodness for that!  We know that nothing is sought after more than tidbits from Duron Carter.  Some CFL writers thrive on his every word.  Life.

April was such a sad month.  I returned from New York City the week following the horrible and tragic Humboldt Bronco's bus crash.  I started two separate blogs to convey my emotions but just couldn't get the wording correct. How do you write about something that devastated so many families?  It's pretty tough but nothing compared to what the survivors of the crash are enduring.  I didn't know anyone involved but as so many have done throughout Canada and the world - we came together and we grieved. 

The snow melted, the winter boots got put away and now we wait. Roughriders Training Camp opens in Saskatoon May 20th. Can we survive until then?  For myself, it's the one thing that gets me through winter.  I've always thought the Saskatchewan Roughriders holding camp in Saskatoon did several things.  It makes the team more accessible to those outside Regina.  Fans get to gather and see the prospects for the upcoming season.  We share our bicycles with players, get their autographs and learn just who they are. It's special for those of us outside Regina. While it does that for the community it also helps to bring the team together.  They stay in dorms and are forced to become a unit.  No one has to worry about finding temporary housing and connections are better through the Saskatoon Airport than Regina so players can arrive and leave with less hassle. We are so fortunate to have a facility in the city of Saskatoon to host the Roughriders and their coaching staff.  I can hardly wait!

The parking at the U of S last year was a challenge as security was out in full force to make sure fans paid for parking instead of leaving their vehicles at the Field House. That was pretty disappointing. What is even more disappointing is the decision for Normanview Crossing Mall in Regina to complain about being a Rider Fan Express pick up location and back out of it this year.  What I gather is tenants complain that due to all the vehicles left for the Rider games there's no parking for actual shoppers.  While that does make a bit of sense I also find it hard to believe it makes that much impact with majority of games happening later in the day and on weekends.  I've heard some patrons are going to boycott that shopping mall.  Which impact will be more detrimental?  If it were me I'd market the heck out of being a bus pick up location. I'd have game day deals in my eateries and make everyone feel welcome. It's always much better to warm the hearts than harden them.  Since I drive in from Saskatoon our bus stop is Northgate...along with 1000's of other people coming from the same direction. Pick up doesn't seem to be an issue but when the game is over the exit sure is a headache.  The city has given more funding for this service and I hope it works much more smoothly for 2018.

Rider Great Donald Narcisse announced that he's moving back home. We have been so blessed to have Don in our midst.  After being inducted into the Plaza of Honour a few years ago he moved his family to Regina.  He held youth football camps and has been a terrific ambassador for the Roughriders. I wish Don all the happiness in the world in his new journey but we will surely miss him.

Last weekend I was shopping at Giant Tiger.  In the men's section they had Roughrider tee shirts in two style for $15.  I purchased an XXL and it fits very nicely!  I know that when we don't buy from a Rider Store the proceeds are distributed throughout the CFL but since I haven't seen anything in the way of sizing reform I will spend my dollars where I can find comfortable merchandise.  Just today I noticed on the Torrid website that they are also carrying MLB teams.  Some leagues seem to be getting the message.

Before my trip to New York I was making sure to get in 30 minutes of exercise a day.  Many people are posting on social media and joining in to #TheCFLGrind.  It is so encouraging to have so many people getting active and motivating and supporting each other.  It's not necessarily about losing weight but about being healthy, having a good attitude and being in tune with you body.  Brodie Lawson started the initiative last fall with the Fit Up For Grey Cup and now this spring has fans all over working out.  What a fantastic roll model!  

CFL news will now be ramping up and we won't need anyone creating news stories for us anymore.  In the meantime, it sure is fun to talk sports and discuss our thoughts of the rituals of game day.  Imagine if you'd never been to a Rider game before.  Imagine if you are planning your first trip in 2018.  What will you look forward to the most?  For me it's the adrenaline - seeing the ball in the air and leaping to my feet as it's caught by any one of our amazing receivers...it's hearing Green Is the Colour as Gainer gets driven around the field...and yes, it's even the crescendo of Bring Em Out as I see the Riders in the tunnel from my seats in 126.  It's been an interesting off season but, man, am I ready for some football!  Is it May Yet?  Heck yeah it is!





No comments:

Post a Comment