Monday, May 14, 2018

Winnipegish


It started with a dream...

No no no, not the one where Darian Durant dreamt about winning the 2013 Grey Cup in front of Rider Nation at Taylor Field. I'm talking about the dream I had about 2 weeks ago and only 3 people know about. I texted my friend Maria...
I had the most bizarre dream that Darian Durant signed up for piano lessons 🤣🤣🤣 that’s a long commute for lessons!
It's odd that I'd have a dream like that on May 3rd and seemingly out of the blue. Granted I was not feeling well at the time and I do tend to dream bizarre things when I'm sick.  At any rate, what transpired early Friday morning, also out of the blue, had a lot of Blue Bomber fans also feeling sick.

Darian Durant announced his retirement from the CFL on his own terms and by himself through social media in the early morning of Friday May 11th.  I myself saw it on his Instagram.   
When Doubles was traded to Montreal it never sat well with me and I wrote a few very honest blog posts about that and my feelings.  I loved this man.  I never understood how he could go work for Kavis Reed the very man who cost him his 2009 Grey Cup ring.  Then he seemingly showed the Riders he still had some gas left in the tank but that quickly faded as did everything in Montreal. In January of this year just before Durant was due a big playing bonus he was released.  Screwed again by the same man.


Then the Winnipeg Football Club (the Bombers CFL registered name) signed Darian awarding him a 70K bonus and relegated him to back up behind Matt Nichols. GAG.  I never could imagine DD in a Bomber uniform and although I really don't know him at all, I also couldn't envision him in a back up role either. I always suspected that's why he and Chris Jones didn't get along.  I mean, he did his time as back up didn't he?  Darian Durant came into the league via the negotiation list of the Hamilton Tiger Cats. His rights were obtained by the Roughriders at the same time Kerry Joseph came over in the Renegades dispersal draft.  That was 2006 and he was 3rd string QB in 2007 behind Kerry Joseph in that championship against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers - the same team which Kevin Glenn has led to the cup but then became injured and thusly Ryan Dinwiddie took over sealing the Riders winning fate.  That off season Joseph was traded (as then GM Eric Tillman likes to do) and in 2008 the Roughriders went through Marcus Crandell, Steven Jyles and even the likes of Michael Bishop before the South Carolina native Darian Durant was given the reigns.  He did his time holding the clip board.  I don't think he was going to go back to that without a fight especially after being sidelined with injuries over 2014 and 2015 as well as a mediocre season in 2016.

Yes, I said mediocre.  That's an honest perspective. Lot's of fans like to think that by being honest and stating that opinion it's okay to label me a hater. Nothing could be farther from the truth. There are several factors that went into how Darian Durant performed that year and Montreal had similar issues with their team in 2017.  He had a job to do and as much as we all loved him, he didn't perform up to the standard required. I'm sorry if that appears like a harsh statement but if any of us fans under perform in our jobs we will also likely lose our jobs.  That's my logical unbiased opinion.

Over shadowed by the announcement Friday was the realization from the Bombers that Darian Durant was not giving back his signing bonus. The complaining, out cry and hatred that poured out from social media from all corners of the nation was cruel and embarrassing.  Lot's of Rider fans rejoiced for Darian sticking it to the Bombers one last time by making off with their money and leaving them in a lurch with a week to go until Training Camp opens.  After listening to the terrific and candid interview on the Sportscage podcast my 83 year old Dad and Rider fan came to the conclusion that DD4 made the decision that he didn't want to go to Winnipeg without his family and I quipped "Dad, no one *wants* to go to Winnipeg".  Ultimately that was the defining factor it seems.  When it comes to that signing bonus my Facebook pal Dale Dowson said it best "If you receive a Christmas bonus and then quit in January you don't give the Christmas bonus back".  He is so correct. Nor would any of us return our vacation pay or any other employee perks.  Moreover, Darian was not the first player to do this and he won't be the last.  We all recall how Bomber fans ridiculed Rider fans when Maurice Price made off with his signing bonus in 2016. Not so much fun when the tables are turned eh?

What none of us can deny is that Darian Durant had a heck of a CFL career.  He was only one of 4 Roughrider quarterbacks to lead the team to a championship title and only second in quarterbacks with the most Grey Cup appearances. While he has 2 rings with the Riders we all know he left everything on the field in '09.  He did it all for Ridernation there is no doubt in that.  The memories of these last years will fade and by the time Durant is inducted in to the Plaza of Honour we will once again get to celebrate his career. 

Thank you Darian for everything you did for us. We will not forget you.  Good luck in all your future endeavors.  Enjoy this time with your family.  Come visit us soon.








2 comments:

  1. Durant was part of the problem in both 2009 and '10. He failed to deliver on both occasions and people seem to forget that he was unable to move the team to victory-all he needed was a first down to seal the deal late in the '09 game and the 13th man penalty would never have become an issue. He threw a pick in 2010 to snuff a late game rally in the Grey Cup. I agree he was mediocre during the past few years when he was not supported by better talent to camouflage his weaknesses as a quarterback. His exit from the game was not classy and his antics after the Als win against the Riders in '17 were low rent to say the least. I am glad he is no longer a Rider and even glad he no longer plays in the league

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting insight but if he did really did decide to retire because he didn't want to go to Winnipeg without his family why did he accept their offer in the first place I mean he had to know that by doing so he was going to be the backup there

    ReplyDelete