Thursday, September 25, 2014

A Birthday Being

Do I look older?

Well my birthday was monday and I proclaimed Sunday aka Rider Game Day "Birthday Eve".  Hubby doesn't believe Birthday Eve is a thing...he's wrong.  What can a rabid fangirl Rider fan want most for her Birthday Eve gift? A HUGE win of course.

So last week was Tino Sunseri's first start at Quarterback.  We can all agree that he appeared slow...took too much time in the pocket...and just wasn't seeing the field.  We lost that game to the Hamilton Ticats who looked to have it all together.  As you can imagine it not only added fuel to the Burris fire but "fans" were counting the Riders out of the Grey Cup chase and bailing off the bandwagon.

I remember back in 2009, a new starting quarterback named Darian Durant, spent the bye week by staying in Regina and practicing to get better.  Well, Tino took a page from the Durant playbook and had extra practices.  I liked that very much when I heard that.  Sunseri has the drive, I think.  If you read my last blog I think you'll know that I support him.  It's always important to put your faith behind developing for the future instead of trying to relive the past.

In Sunday's game, Tino came out and I immediately saw the progression over the previous week.  He looked much sharper and faster. Admittedly, it didn't look promising until Chamblin's honesty at half time.  "We're getting our asses handed to us." he said.  I've never seen him so fired up.  Obviously, it snapped everyone out of the fog they were in because the Riders came out fighting.  Terrius George recorded 4 sacks. Weston Dressler not only returned a punt for a touchdown but also scored a 60 yard touchdown that had me yelling WOW...WOW...WOW! from my frantically rocking recliner.

The Riders sure delivered a great Birthday Eve present wrapped in an overtime win.  But I'd sure love it it wasn't such a nail biting heart thumping recliner rocking ending!  And I don't know about anyone else, but when the REDBLACKS lined up for that field goal in overtime I had a Grey Cup 2009 flashback.  I was silently screaming COUNT YOUR MEN!!!!  But karma smiled on all the 13th men this time...and Peters blocked the attempt.

Wow.

The Riders now sit at 9-3 and second place in the West.  Hot on our heals are the Edmonton Eskimo's. What happens?  Well an Edmonton radio station puts together some very pathetic attempts at tongue in cheek sarcasm advertisements calling Rider fans great but "horrible human beings".  Wha?  So besides that a five year old can probably write a wittier ad - do they really think this will get extra butts in the seats at Commonwealth?  I'm not offended by the ads because I just plainly think they are dumb.  What I really don't understand is how this would entice Eskimo fans to buy tickets.  It certainly doesn't manipulate Rider fans into wanting to go.  In fact, I know of a few Rider faithful who live in the City of Chumps...er, Champions, who are seriously questioning giving up their season tickets.

I know the Riders have taken out all the billboards. "Green is the new Orange".  But isn't that a clever play on words?  It also doesn't insult anyone.  It isn't name calling.  In fact, if you have to resort to calling the fans of a team horrible, then you sound very desperate.  Come on marketers and radio ad writers...You can do a heck of a lot better than this!  And if you think Rider fans are obnoxious, it's because we demand better.

Geroy Simon promotes Coats for Kids.  John Chick helps the Diabetes Association.  There are Co-Op Game Day products with players like Durant, Dressler, & Getzlaf with proceeds going to the Childrens Hospital Foundation.  Rider fans help out with these projects.  Rider fans lead the league in supporting the CFL by buying merchandise.  If that's what you call a "horrible human being" then I'd rather be called that than anything else.

My name is Sandra.  I'm a rabid Rider fan.  And I'm a horrible human being.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a super birthday eve :)


    ...there was something about football in this blog, wasn't there?

    ReplyDelete