Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Open Season

Three more sleeps.

Tree.  If you're Andre Proulx.

Once again we made it through the off season.  We made it through training camp.  We made it through the cuts and we made it through pre-season.

How did your team fare?

Pretty much everyone I know was shocked when Paul Waldu was one of the people released from the Roughriders.  I know defensive back is an important position but it's just not something I pay lot's of attention to.  I've heard that it's not because Paul was under performing but he just wasn't showing anything different.  It's hard to say.  I wonder if the change in the rules made it tough for him to adapt this year.  I also wonder if he'll take the Tristan Jackson route and this release will make him hungrier to compete.

Alex Peirchalski.  He was one guy who I thought was assured a spot on the roster.  I saw him out perform Chris Getzlaf.  I really thought it might be Getzlaf who was in jeopardy.  I think there were a few things that weighed into this decision.  It may not have been that Alex wasn't "good enough" for the Riders, but if you give him the spot...who goes?  I hypothesized Getzlaf's release or trade.  Yet I cannot debate the veteran presence and chemistry there is between him and Darian Durant.  There is a bigger risk if you go with youth and it doesn't work out.  Even I have to face it.....if we want the cup - and we always want the cup - then we have to go with Getz.  Unfortunately, a practice roster spot wasn't what AP was willing to do so the REDBLACKS snapped him up.  Hopefully, that choice doesn't come back to bite us in the butt.

The first day of training camp at Griffiths Stadium in Saskatoon I witness Ray Early kick a boomer that made my jaw drop to the concrete.  One of the players we missed the most last year was Ricky Schmidt.  There were many instances when poor punts resulted in poor field advantage and determined plays.  The Riders desperately needed someone dependable who can flip the field.  They needed someone who was consistent and dependable AND someone who could kick a field goal when Milo was having a rough game.  So it was no surprise to me when Hugh "the beard" O'Neal was let go.  *shudders* Ick.  I will never understand the appeal.

My Saskatchewan Roughriders.....Canada's Team.....went 0 - 2 in the preseason.  I'm okay with that.  It's preseason.  Preseason doesn't determine how the regular 18 game schedule will work out.  Sure coaches want to win every game and so do players, but the reason for these games is to figure out who rises to the game occasion.  Some guys suck.  Some guys are amazing.  Plus I don't think you want to risk injury for an exhibition game.

This brings us to Saturday and the home opener in Regina against the Blue Bombers.  I cannot tell you enough how it makes my stomach turn that my very own husband thinks Drew Willy is the second coming of Ricky Ray.  What I can tell you is that when you meet the same team three (tree) times in a season and you share the same division every game is a must win.  Our Roughriders absolutely MUST win every game at Taylor Field.....Our House.

I'll be there to find out what happens from my new seat in the end zone.  It's going to be a gorgeous evening with a temperature forecast of 31 degrees.  Remember to stay hydrated and wear the sunscreen!

No comments:

Post a Comment