Sunday, August 23, 2015

Legends & Lore (aka The Hall of Fame Game)

Ages ago, months really, in the off season I had a discussion with my Rider Soul Sister (same team, different parents) about choosing which games we could go to, to increase our chances of meeting up this year. At that point in time, it must have been March when the Roughrider flex packs went on sale, RSS said “you want to go to the August 22nd game for sure because it's the Hall of Fame Game.” And thus, I added that date to my flex pack shopping list.

I don't know how RSS knew this tidbit of important information but she did and I am glad. She is out of the Rider loop, as it were, because she lives amidst the Evil Empire but bleeds pure Rider Pride. Because RSS knew, I knew, and I waited patiently for the hype.

* Pin drops *

I saw a tweet mentioning tickets for the CFHOF gala dinner at the start of the CFL season. I looked into it but yikes, at $230 a pop, that's a lot of beans for Hubby to count at work to earn the moola for an evening out. I really wanted to go. I really did. To think of brushing elbows with some of the CFL's greatest of all time.....wow, just wow.

Time was passing. Still no one was talking about it. The second week of August I tweeted Rod Pederson, the Voice of the Riders, to ask if he was taking his show The Sportscage to Saskatoon to cover the HOF gala.

Nope”.

FINALLY, the day of the Hall of Fame gala I started to hear rustlings of stories on CKOM and on CBC TV. Why wasn't this event talked about more? Why didn't anyone seem to care? And why wasn't anyone calling the August 22nd Rider game against the Calgary Stampeders The Hall of Fame Game?

Shrugs.

Saskatchewan media – you failed. You failed fans. You failed the fine men who were inducted.

Who were these phenomenal people who now wear Hall of Fame jackets and have their faces cast for us to admire always? Leroy Blugh, Eddie Davis, Dave Dickenson, Gene Makowsky, Bob O'Billovich, Larry Reda, and Bob Wetenhall. You can read all about their careers on the CFHOF web page:  Canadian Football Hall of Fame.

Living vicariously through Cody Whiteman.
Two of our very own Saskatchewan Roughriders were inducted into the Hall. Friday aka Game Day Eve there was an autograph signing at the Rider Store at Lawson Heights Mall. It was a no brainer that I'd spend a day of my summer vacation at the Rider Store. I secretly hoped Geroy Simon would happen to be there but alas, he was not. I had a near meeting with the GOAT in 2013 but I digress.....

I arrived and stood in line for a few minutes but the line was relatively short so I ventured into the Rider Store. There were some very nice Hall of Fame tee shirts so I purchased a couple to have signed. When I returned to the line there was only one lady waiting. She asked me a couple questions about who the other men were besides the Riders and I admittedly/shamefully did not know which of the other men they were.

Then it was my turn. I shook both their hands and smiled and as nervous as I was and always am when I've met players, I actually didn't spout nonsense this time. I told Gene how Hubby's cousin played football with him at the U of S and what Cousin Mark is doing now. I asked Eddie where he lives now and he was eager to tell me that he lives in Calgary and even when he played for the Riders travelled back and forth. Heck, they have those “Chinooks” there.....I'd even take winter there. Maybe. I ended my conversation with asking if they both would be at the football game Saturday and they said yes and that they hoped it went well.

* Fingers crossed *

The Roughriders sold out Mosaic Stadium for the tilt against the Calgary Stampeders. The weather was not going to be optimal. It was going to be chilly and there was a great possibility of rain. I wore three layers of clothing for the first time since February.

When Riders make a comeback, what a story that will be.” John Chick

Well that story isn't being written just yet. I wanted it to be written. I wanted it to be legendary and rate right up there with the Black Out Game or the Labour Day Classic of 2007. It wasn't meant to be. Yet.

0 - 8
I saw an injury decimated passionate Roughrider team take on the defending Grey Cup champions and come within 3 points of winning. I saw a 3rd string young rookie quarterback take a beating and get back up every time and keep pace with a Grey Cup champ and starting quarterback. I saw a first year punter attempt a 64 yard field goal when the opposing vet (*) never had to take a risk at all.

I'm not going to talk about moral victories, accepting mediocrity or coaching changes because I don't believe in any of that stuff. For those who rant about those things – it's exhausting – find a new crusade.

I will tell you that this Rider team has progressed greatly since week one. It just might not be the progression you expected or wanted to see. Didn't Coach Chamblin tell us at the end of the 2014 season that we would see a very different team in 2015? What I will say to you is that fans, and that's me included, need to change our perspective.....we need to have different expectations of this team. An attitude adjustment.

This is not the 2013 Riders. This is not even the 2014 Riders. And they are a far cry from the 1979 Riders. There are too many odds stacked against us and in spite of it all this team is competitive. No one is blowing this squad out. That's why today I have sore arms from clapping and a hoarse voice from yelling. That's why in two weeks at the Labour Day Classic I intend on doing it all again.

The men honoured at half time can attest to the down times in Rider Nation. Gene Makowsky, who had his entire 17 year career in Saskatchewan can tell you he never even considered he'd ever be a Hall of Famer. Imagine, these players today who are criticized.....they are the Hall of Famers of tomorrow.

The 2015 football season is an experience and not a destination.

Wouldn't it be a shame if you missed the journey because you couldn't deal with a little adversity?

The choice is yours.....do you want to be the fan riding on the bandwagon or the one running to catch the tail gate?

I am here. I am seat belted in. I believe. And I can't wait for the story to be written.


No comments:

Post a Comment