Sunday, August 20, 2017

Origin Story

This week - week nine in the CFL, was the Roughriders second bye week of the 2017 season. It got me to thinking about how I became a fan and how that has shaped how I cheer for the team and show my Rider Pride.  We all have stories.  This is mine.

My first Roughrider memory was from the early 1980's when a player came to my elementary school in Prince Albert,
Saskatchewan. I have no idea what he spoke about or if other players were with him and until a few years ago I had his trading card.  He wasn't a big name Roughrider (Lawrie Skolrood) but was a Rider for several years. Interesting enough, none of my classmates remember this happening and all recall the yo-yo guy instead.  I wonder what it was that left an impression on me and no one else.  In 1980 the Roughriders went 2-15 and yet these Roughrider players were out interacting with the communities in the province like my class at Arthur Pechey Elementry School.


My Dad (2nd from right) with his 3 brothers @ Taylor Field
Being a Roughrider fan back then wasn't popular. There weren't Roughrider stores and of course no internet so next to zero fan interaction except for "guy on the street" contact.  Tickets were easy to get and didn't cost a lot.  As a teenager, the last thing I'd ever do was profess my love for the Roughriders.  I remember my Dad being excited in 1989 and saying how he thought the Riders were good that year.  So when I was in Regina in about 1991 I bought him a Roughrider tee shirt from the hotel gift shop. Even then and only a couple years removed from being Grey Cup champions, the cashier thought I was crazy.  Why on earth would I want to spend $20 on that?

Then I was busy getting married and starting a career and football wasn't even on the radar.  Hubby and I moved to Saskatoon and while our lives evolved changes were happening in Riderville too. The Shivers/Barrett era was over and in came Jim Hopson, Eric Tillman and Kent Austin. Everything changed.  Everything.  Suddenly it was cool to be a Saskatchewan Roughriders football fan.  The team was winning and everyone far and wide was clamouring for Rider gear.  One time on game day we were at the Co-Op and another fan stopped us in the isle to ask where we got our cool Rider shirts.  People started to take game day very seriously and would dress up even if staying home, fly flags from their cars and merchandise flew off the racks.  We ate Fantuz Flakes, Dario's and All Dressler Chips.  Rider Nation went nuts.

My favourite chips
The life we lived then was different from now. It wasn't even a thought that we'd attend a game never mind purchase season tickets. Hubby had been to Rider games having grown up farther south, but me...I had never been to Taylor Field for a football game until 2014 when the Ottawa Redblacks came for their preseason game.  We sat in the first row of section 25 and Hubby told everyone it was my first time...which was so embarrassing!  I mean here I was a HUGE fan and had never been to a game there before. (I had been there in 2013 for the Paul McCartney concert) What I've realized since is that it doesn't matter how big your fandom is - it's always someone's first.  That game the Roughriders were the visitors while the Redblacks were the home team. Bizarre right?  When the Redblacks came on the field Hubby shouted "Welcome to the league boys!" and the experience grew greater from there.


Now why wasn't I at the 2013 Grey Cup? I still don't know what I was thinking. I tried to make up for by being at several important Farewell Season games last year.  I saw the 1966 team, the 1989 kick re-inacted, and I saw Darian Durant send off the ol' lady in a storm of fireworks.  It still bothers me that I wasn't at the biggest game in the Roughriders organization history.

This year, the Inaugural Season of Mosaic Stadium, we do have season tickets.  On August 13th we had pregame on field passes.  For one hour prior to kick off we got to stand in the end zone of this magnificent new stadium and talk to other fans, players who came out to shake hands and create more memories.  Duron Carter chatted with players and signed the football of a young fan.  He went along the railing and greeted all the kids.  Rob Bagg came over as did Cameron Marshall and Willie Jefferson. It was awesome.  It was military appreciation day and I watched as players thanked all the personal who came out onto the field.

My photos from pre-game August 13th

Waiting in line at the Gate 2 entrance I met a woman from Weyburn who told me she was so glad she had family to stay with so she could attend games.  We stood in the shade and talked about how great the facilities are.  I met a man who travelled from Ottawa just to see his team, our Saskatchewan Roughriders play in person.  I asked him if he attends Redblacks games and he said, "No, I'm a Roughriders fan."  We met another couple who lectured my Hubby on Rider Pride when he said the Lions were going to beat us by 15 points. * smile * If you know who you are...I'm pretty sure my husband owes you twenty bucks!

Hubby & I @ Taylor Field 2016
Seeing Taylor Field being slowly dismantled makes me wish I had more memories there but right next door I'm creating amazing new ones.  Lawrie Skolrood's playing days may be in the rear view mirror but I am so thankful I have that connection because it's shaped who @smilingsandra is today.  Rider Nation is a terrific (crazy) fan base and I'd not want to be a part of any other no matter how much you make me shake my head and roll my eyes.  How and when we became fans changes our perspective on every issue.  Were you a fan in the aching 80's? 70's? 00's? It's been awfully easy being a fan over the last 10 years and I think sometimes we need to reflect to appreciate just how far the Saskatchewan Roughriders have come.

What's your Origin Story?


















No comments:

Post a Comment