Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Football Grief

When Christion Jones ran back the punt to score a touchdown towards the end of the fourth quarter in Sundays East Final to tie the game I leaped to my feet and jumped up and down in front of our 55 inch LG TV.  We aren't going home!  We aren't going home!  We planned for 21 days and we aren't going home!  It was the height of emotion but with a sinking feeling I knew we weren't going to hold back Ricky Ray and the Argonauts and with my green heart pounding wildly in my chest I prayed and hoped and BEL13VED.  I was in denial.  I had thought at half time we had lost the game.  My Saskatchewan Roughriders who were the underdogs and who wanted desperately to rewrite history and prove all the doubters wrong just weren't playing with any motivation or urgency.  We were going to lose.

When the Argos scored the touchdown to win the game to advance to the Grey Cup in Ottawa I got angry.  It's really hard not to try to place blame.  The refereeing was bad but it's been bad all season and whether or not roughing the passer happened or there was a bad block or unsportsmanlike penalties at the end of the day the Riders just weren't prepared enough.  People spouted off about quarterbacks and conspiracies...then I thought about Corey Chamblin and how much he and Tyron Brackenridge might like to really stick to the Riders for being fired and released.  I thought about how cool as a cucumber Marc Trestman is and how to me he'll always be "that" Head Coach from the 2009 - 10 Grey Cup games and how much 09 hurt especially. I really wanted to write all those feelings down but I was so upset I couldn't put anything down on paper and went to the grocery store instead where I shared a knowing glance with a fellow Rider fan.  The trouble has always been that I care so much and often too much and end up being hurt.


OK...sucking it all up....life goes on....

There is no one to blame.  The Roughriders just didn't play well enough to win this playoff game.  They came close but the defence just couldn't hold them.  Let's face it...Rider Nation got two extra games this season!  We haven't had a play off game in 2 season and now here in only the second year of a massive rebuild under the Chris Jones regime we got within 1 game...30 seconds really...of going to the 2017 Grey Cup.  I had said back in June or maybe it was Training Camp that if this team went 9-9 I'd be happy. The Riders ended the season 10-8, won the East Semi-Final and was competitive enough in the East Final to make Ricky Ray really work for it. I was a first time season ticket holder and getting to experience my favourite team during the Inaugural Season at new Mosaic Stadium was amazing!  We couldn't be happier with our seats and the friends we made around us and getting to be on the field during pregame was mind blowing.  How blessed are we to have a General Manager/Head Coach (plus VP & DC) of Chris Jones and his whole staff.  Because of him we have the team we do with the character and family feeling that we do.

Hope.  No matter how we feel or that it took me two entire days to reach this point I know that 2018 looks very promising for Rider fans. I've scrolled through Twitter looking at all the terrific posts from Rider players who are saying their goodbyes and thanking Rider fans.  When I thanked them in return they often "liked" my post. I wonder if fans of other teams in the CFL have that happen too or if we are indeed special in this province. I watched on the news as players cleaned out their lockers and offered things up to fans.  They're looking forward to going home wherever that might be and celebrating the holidays while this loss gets put to the backs of their minds.  Coach Jones is already working on next year and starting to firm up contracts.  We've spent a lot of time in Riderville thinking of "next year" but I truly bel13ve the 2018 Roughriders team will be a force to be reckoned with.

As we turn to the Grey Cup this weekend I have to admit I've lost interest.  My only hope is that Calgary is redeemed for their loss last year.  That's how the football Gods seem to work in the CFL... if you came close one year - you'll make it the next.  Without the downs we'd never have the happiness of the ups.

If you are American and reading this have a Happy Thanksgiving! If you are Canadian enjoy the Grey Cup festivities and I hope that this little blog which so many of you have helped support over 2017 has brought a little sunshine into your day.

As always - GO RIDERS.






1 comment: