Friday, March 1, 2019

CFL Fans & The Price of Social Media

I had full intentions of this post being about the new Alliance football league.  I even posted as much on my ABC Football Facebook page on Tuesday.  The reaction I received, not even remotely football related, made it evident that perhaps I shouldn't dedicate a whole blog post to that one subject.  Especially when it's possible another subject landed in my lap.  Wednesday was Pink Shirt Day and that coupled with the fall out of my Facebook post was a clear sign that CFL fans once again need some reminders.  Sure, who am I to tell others how to behave?  I'm not an angel either, but I try to treat everyone with kindness and know there is a clear line between poking fun and being fanatical.


We spend a lot of time with our youth telling them that it's okay to speak their minds.  It's okay to be whatever you want to be.  No one will judge you.  Is it true though?  Kids are still bullied and it's nothing like it was when I was a kid in the 1980's.  When things happened to me at school I just figured there was something wrong with the kid putting me through that and I never internalized those feelings.  The problem is that it's 2019 and we live in an age where we don't leave the bullies at school.  They follow us on Twitter.  They're on Instagram.  They're on Facebook and they likely have a couple fake accounts besides the obvious one.  They might be hanging out on your favourite football teams fan forum too.

When we post or share on social media we have to be prepared for the reaction we get.  I've said that many times.  Why should I though?  Why can't I post my thoughts and if you disagree you just pass on by?  Why does someone feel that they can call the poster names or reply incessantly?  Why do people think they can do this from behind their smart phones or laptop screens?

Would you ever do that to my face?

Would you allow your son or daughter to behave that way?

In 5 Things Said in Free Agency I ended with a point about Saskatchewan Roughrider fans.  I received some constructive critisism at number one and my thoughts lost some people.  Fan is a shortened version of the word "fanatic".  There is a very appropriate definition for this word: a person filled with excessive and single minded zeal.  That describes Rider Nation to a tee.  I'm not oblivious to the fact that I am one of them.  We ride the highest of highs and other teams fans find us hard to tolerate.  We also fly off the handle, seem to be easily offended and wallow in the deepest of sympathies which often make us the butt of jokes around the league.  It seems we are either riding the bandwagon or jumping off the cliffs.  To quote myself "As Rider fans we can be better and we should be better".  Really, that statement is true of all fans and what I meant by it was be better to each other.  We all belong to the CFL Family and love and promote our favourite teams.  We can do it together.  Diversity really is the strength of the league but not if we troll each other, lob insults and ban others from fan pages over hurt feelings.


Have you seen the disgusting video of the Live on-air licking of a TV reporter?  It's disturbing on several levels.  It appears as if a bystander begins to lick and kiss the neck of the reporter and then you see it...the Roughrider bunnyhug.  Thanks for that.  According to the CityTV story which I tagged, the man is Saskatchewan born Boyd Banks and has some film and tv credits.  In what world is this okay?  Never mind what the man was wearing, this behavior is despicable, but to do it while wearing one of the most recognizable logos in the world...well, I shake my head and sigh.

Lady Gaga said on Jimmy Kimmel Wednesday night that social media is the gutter of the internet.  It can be but it can also be a terrific place.  I've gained many good friendships through Twitter and Facebook and of course I use both to help promote and spread ABC Football and ABC Rider Fans.  Tuesday I made a post in a CFL forum and was immediately called an idiot.  Listen, I'm 46 years old and I've been through a ton of things so your little petty words which you spread through your anonymous account don't hurt me. I survived the 1980's. We need to walk the talk about being kind to each other in person and on line and just plainly everywhere in life.


Dan Clark appeared at schools in Saskatoon Wednesday to spread the news on Pink Day and everyone was encouraged to use the hashtag #besomeoneshero.  It's basically a do something mantra.  If you see someone being bullied, come to their aid because the statistics say that when you do the bullying ends.  On the internet you have to be your own hero.  When you must learn how to block and report.  Use Ignore and mute.  Sometimes even Retweet can help you out in a pinch.  Be your own advocate and think twice before you post replies.  Sometimes it's just not worth it but always...always try to get along.


You also have to be you.  Be the music teacher who is the crazy football fan.  Be the football coach who loves to paint.  Be the football player who writes books.  Live your life unapologetically because in the end none of it really matters - you have to be happy with who you are.  There is a price to pay for standing out but it is always worth it. 













1 comment:

  1. Way to tell it like it is. People need to learn to respect the opinions of others and to think before they hit send or post. People who say things on social media that they wouldn't say to a person's face usually don't use their real names so they feel that gives them the right to be rude to people who don't agree with them

    ReplyDelete