Sunday, August 11, 2019

Sandra's WK9 CFL Power Grouping

If today had a theme it would be about band aids, stitches and industrial strength super glued medical tape.  That's because as I mentioned in the post last week, I had gallbladders surgery on Thursday.  While it was told to me that the surgery has a quick recovery rate it has not been the picture the brochure painted and because of this there is no witty drawing aka Garfunkel to accompany today's grouping.  

I was pretty loopy for Thursday and Friday.  

If I had a sponsor this post would be brought to you by Tylenol, Advil and Canada Dry Ginger Ale.

Group A - Calgary Stampeders/Winnipeg Blue Bombers/Saskatchewan Roughriders

Group B - Edmonton Eskimos/Hamilton TigerCats

Group C - Ottawa Redblacks/Toronto Argonauts (bye week)/Montreal Alouettes/BC Lions

I do have to say a couple of things:

1) I still think it's hilarious that the Bombers lost to the Argo's in Week 8.  I'd never point and laugh, but when you consider the intense rivalry between our clubs...I can't help myself.  Yes, I also know karma is a you-know-who and I'll likely come to be sorry for laughing at another teams expense.  For now though you can give me this one little pleasure.

2)  The Roughriders won in the first ever game that was called in the modern CFL era by a weather delay.  This was something that was negotiated in the last CBA.  The rule was posted all over social media and during the TV broadcast.  The rule was put into place for the safety of the CFL players.  Honestly, I truly appreciated the game being called.  TSN had already cut to the other Friday night game anyway.  The players would have had to warm up all over again and then deal with the condition of the field which could have resulted in injury.  Also the weather system was not a short burst and something that was going to just move through.  It was going to be ongoing.  Calling the game final was the responsible thing to do.  You all can complain if you want that the Riders were handed the win but as one ABC Rider Fan pointed out imagine the outrage had the tables been turned - what if the Als were leading by 7 and the team owned by the CFL won by a new rule the CFL/PA put into place?  How would y'all feel then?  In November they don't ask how, they just ask how many wins.  

3)  No lead is safe.  In the 3rd Quarter of the Saturday game with the Lions leading I had written out my grouping and then the Cats made a come back to win.  This is why the CFL is one of the most exciting leagues to watch.  You never know what's going to happen.

4)  What's with all the missed converts and field goals?

5)  Is this the record for amount of kick offs returned for touchdowns ever?

6)  It's only a matter of time that Mike Reilly gets seriously injured and while he wants to be the leader/hero he's really not doing anyone favours for playing when banged up.  I think it's pretty selfish to think you are the only one who can will your team to win.  Sit down and let the team rise to the occasion.  

I hope to be back to my normal (as normal as I ever was) self for Week 10 and get some fancy drawing in for the Power Grouping.  Thank you for all the well wishes, likes and comments.  It's all much appreciated.  

No comments:

Post a Comment