Thursday, October 4, 2012

All Aboard!

When my iPod alarm went off Monday morning I briefly considered staying in bed.  But when I laid back down and thought about it I just knew I'd regret it I didn't go to see the 100th Grey Cup Train.  So after lounging in bed with a good cup of coffee I got my green on and left the house.

I rationalized that it was a Monday.  It was a school day.  Surely, most people would be at work.

Wrong.

I found a great parking spot and arrived at 10 am on the dot.  I also found I was about 200th in line.  There were two line ups.  One for regular people like me and another for school kids who were arriving by the bus load.  Yes.....I said bus load.

I think I stood in line nearly two hours.  I did think a couple of times that I must be crazy.  I chatted casually with a young family ahead of me.  They brought their two small children who were so great and so well behaved.  Behind me stood an older couple.  A man went through the line traded a loonie for a Grey Cup loonie.  I traded for two.....One for myself and one for my Dad.

A very grainy picture of the Grey Cup with 2 RCMP standing just inside the train.
When the line had advanced about half way there were some announcements.  The Grey Cup was brought to the door of the train and some dignataries made some speeches.  Mayor Don Atchisson said Saskatoon broke the record for greatest turn out.  He was presented with a football.  Then the Grey Cup was taken away by two RCMP dressed in their full red regalia.  

The Autograph Table
There was a tent selling Roughrider and Grey Cup merchandise.  I had lamented that I didn't have anything for anyone to sign.  I bought a red [and it breaks my heart to buy  a red football] 100th Grey Cup mini football.

Shortly passed the tent was a table with ex and current Riders signing anything fans were throwing at them.  I had them sign my football.  There was Al Ford, Wayne Shaw, Scott McHenry, Graig Newman, Kory Sheets & the legendary George Reed.  Ben Heenan had also been there but he was nowhere to be found by the time I reached the autograph table.

The very cool thing was I had asked Kory Sheets to take a picture.  My iPod is less than a week old and I hadn't quite figured out all the operations.  He took it from me because he has "longer arms" he said.  Then he showed me that the buttons on the side also snap the pictures too!  It was very cool.  He was so genuine and nice and of course I think he's even more awesome than I thought before.  Holy Sheets!

Myself and Kory Sheets
 After the autograph table the line was moving faster.  I let another lady stand beside me in line and we got to talking too.  She seemed nice and hadn't been out to other football events.  I liked her character.

1989 Rider GC Ring
 The first car of the train had memorabilia from very early days. One car had the walls lined with stories of memorable Grey Cup games and other inspirational stories.  Another car had all the Grey Cup rings which are HUMONGOUS!!  The coolest car was the one made to look like a player locker room.  Some of the lockers had been signed by players where the train had already passed through.

Once back outside the train there was a booth to try your kicking and a booth from Canada Post selling items to commemorate the 100th year.  A truck was supposed to hold the Grey Cup in which you could have your picture taken, but the cup had already been transported to its next location.

Having taken in as much as I could.....I made my way back to my car.


I arrived home extremely excited and so thankful that I took in the event.  I strongly urge you to go out and see the train when it arrives in your city.  It is well worth it.  My only regret is that the event lasted a short time.  I'd love to see something similar occur again and I would definitely take in the event again!  It was fantastic and memorable.


1 comment: