Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Fire & Brimstone

I will admit when I am wrong.

I was wrong.

I put my support behind the Roughriders and coaching staff because I honestly didn't see a reason not to. Yes, things were done I was surprised by and didn't understand and yes, it got harder and harder to see every game and I felt for the players deeply. I wasn't blind nor did I sport green goggles but I just didn't know all the facts. It's definitely hard when you are the one voice against the herd.

After Sunday's game I put my faith in the Roughriders organization. My belief was and continues to be that those on the board and who hold the power know what the right decision was and should be. They have all the inside knowledge and run the business while I am just someone on the outside viewing the field. I won't pretend to have the knowledge to decide whether someone should have a job or not.

I've also said a firing was a dangerous road. I could see how if not controlled correctly it could be the beginning of a coaching carousel which would take years to recover from. I hope I am wrong on that account too.

The last time the Saskatchewan Roughriders made a statement by firing both the General Manager and Head Coach was December 8th, 1986. Those positions were held by Jack Gotta and Bill Quinter. Three years later the Riders won the Grey Cup.

There were two coach firings before Eagle Keys led the Riders to the 1966 Grey Cup. Danny Barrett was fired before Kent Austin came in 2007. Greg Marshall in 2011...then Cory Chamblin led us to the Grey Cup of our wildest green dreams.

It feels like a cycle.

Can it be broken?

* shrugs *

In previous blogs I've mentioned how the culture in the province has drastically changed. There was a next year mentality. Losing was okay. Rider Nation won't stand for mediocrity any longer. In 1963 it would have been word on the street of discontent that would have spurred the team to make changes. In 2015 the people who would be on the street are now on their smart phones.

Before the 2010 Grey Cup, Rider Nation was awarded the CFL Commissioner's Award.

"This award is for everyone who has ever worn a watermelon instead of a toque to a CFL game," CFL Commissioner Mark Cohon said in making the announcement during the Gibson's Finest CFL Player Awards.

"Each year, I have the privilege of handing out the Commissioner's Award to a person or group that has made an outstanding contribution to the development of Canadian football," he said.

"This year, the one hundredth year of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, I decided to pay tribute to a group that epitomizes the way CFL fans love our league: the Rider Nation, which collectively does so much to make our league vibrant and strong and fun."

While every team in the CFL has tremendous fans, Saskatchewan fans are known for filling stadiums for their team's road games as well as home games, making the Riders the league's best draw. They are responsible for more than half of the CFL's merchandise sales. And their team's games are routinely among the most watched on TSN.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Sunday evening and continuing on to Monday throughout the day and leading right up until the news of the dismissal of Cory Chamblin and Brendan Taman broke, Rider Nation picked up torches and pitch forks and went on a witch hunt of the likes that no one has seen since Mary Shelley put pen to paper.

Is that the legacy you want Rider Nation to have?

I've never been so embarrassed or ashamed in my whole life to be a Rider fan. As my pal, Tony Brice commented, “Rider Nation is too dark for me.” Folks, that's what it looks like on the outside looking in. No wonder other fan bases hate us! It's the reason Rnation is giving us a run for our money. It's the reason if we aren't careful that football players and coaches will start backing away. We've touted that this is the place to be, yet chased away Henry Burris and dumped manure on Paul McCallum. Why? Why would anybody in their right mind want to come into this fish bowl?

Le sigh.

So it's a fresh start. We are moving forward with interim Head Coach Bob Dyce and General Manager Jeremy O'Day. The Saskatchewan Roughriders are now in their hands. Wednesday practice is open and we've got a Labour Day Classic to prepare for. Brett Smith will be the starting quarterback and we've got a beaten and battered team to get behind as the struggling Winnipeg Blue Bombers fly into Mosaic Stadium Sunday afternoon at 2pm.

Use your passion, Rider Nation, in a massive show of support. These players and coaches deserve the very best. Let's make it a sell out.

Bring your cow bells. Leave the spears at home.

Put Owen in his place and put the win back in SaskatcheWIN where it belongs.


No comments:

Post a Comment