Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Once in a Super Blood Moon


 You may have noticed I didn't post a blog last week.

~ crickets ~

I was sick. I had that cold/flu that is going around which ends with a hacking cough so bad you wonder if you've given yourself a concussion. My birthday was the 22nd so that sucked because even though I know it happened the cold meds had me in a blurry state of mind.

But finally here I am with a clear mind and a year older and holy smokes the Riders won a game!

Did I dream that?

Things in Rider Nation had been pretty quiet. My Twitter feed was full of Blue Jays and people wishing for hockey season. It's creepy when no one is talking about anything regarding the Roughriders. Either they were all sick like I was or they stopped caring. Neither one of those things is something we want going on.

September 25th was the Plaza of Honor dinner which we saw the ol' 96er Scott Schultz and Tim McCray get inducted. It was really great to hear McCray's account of the lead up to the 1989 Grey Cup and how the Riders beat the Eskimo's in the west final when everyone had counted out the Riders. There's nothing like being the under dog and showing everyone what you're made of.

September 18th Kory Sheets was in Saskatoon signing autographs. I wanted to go see him so badly but the last thing I wanted to do was spread my plague to my favorite running back. He was at the game as well. It surprised me that none of the Rider media seemed to pick up on it. I was expecting an interview or some speculation on what he was doing back in Saskatchewan. I am completely hopeful and maybe it's the goggles or that I just loved that man in 2013, but could you imagine the tandem of Jerome Messam and Kory Sheets in 2016? That would be amazing and my green Rider heart would really appreciate that after what seemed like the running back merry-go-round in 2014. I pray that Sheets second Achilles surgery rehab goes well and he can return to the player he was. If he can do it once or twice, why can't he do it a third time?

Responded on my birthday by the way :)
Speaking of Achilles, some Rider fans are obsessed with seeing Darian Durant on the sidelines. I'm sure now that he's walking it's not as dangerous for him to be there as he's getting more mobile. But what's all this talk of doubt that he'll be the same player he was before the injury? I know we barely saw him recover from his arm injury but I know how hard of a worker Doubles is and in my greenest of hearts don't doubt that he'll not only recover fully from this leg injury but be the same or better as before. Via Twitter I asked Kory Sheets how he responded after the first time he injured his Achilles. He responded that he was the same. Durant is a tremendous leader and completely elevates the team. I only remembered how much when I heard his voice when rewatching the 2013 Grey Cup.  I think we've all forgotten that in his absence from the field.

How wonderfully consistent is Kevin Glenn?! I was concerned after seeing both KG and Doubles in training camp and fretted over a quarterback controversy. Who knew this season would turn out like it has? As Darian was seen on the sidelines recovering from his Achilles injury, the questions of who should start, Glenn or Smith, seems to have quietened down. In my opinion, Glenn was always the starter in this scenario. Glenn can just see down field, anticipate defences and get the ball to the guys who can make plays. But I hope Smith is watching and learning. He will get his time again. It's just not now.

With the TigerCats starting quarterback Zach Colaros being injured it has been suggested that Kevin Glenn be traded to Hamilton. I honestly believe Kent Austin will want to develop the back up quarterbacks he already has. Wouldn't it be Corey Chamblin mentality to trade for a vet? Besides, if.....IF.....there is still mathematical chance of the Roughriders still making the playoffs then the Riders need Kevin Glenn to do it.

Do I really think the Saskatchewan Roughriders have a chance at making the 2015 Grey Cup play offs? Heck no. I'm not delirious still from the cold medication. I know that there's little to no chance at all of it happening. I'm realistic and logical and know they'd have to win out the rest of the season. That's a lot to ask and hope for and it's highly unlikely.

But could you imagine? Could you imagine if it did happen? It would be epic. Legendary. Magical. And that minute shred of hope is what makes Rider Nation what it is. That belief in last minute wins and heart pounding drama that makes us rabid fans yearn for miracles at Mosaic.  It's pure Rider Pride.

Does the house on Piffles that Ron and George helped build have enough left in her for one more go in 2015?

I wanna find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment