Tuesday, October 6, 2015

It's Not Easy Being a Fan of the Green

OMG

Oh my GAWD

Oh-Em-Gee

You have no idea how many times I said those words during Saturday's pathetic display of football against the BC Lions.

~ face palm ~

I still can't even put it in to words. I'm still angry. That wasn't even the sentiment at the end of the game. It was the feeling during the second quarter. Hubby stormed out of the living room muttering how much he couldn't stand it. He returned but the muttering didn't change much.

It sure is tough being green these days.

What did we think was going to happen? After beating the Allouettes in a completely dominant fashion, did we think that was our team now? Did we think all the bad was undone and we remembered what Rider football was? I'm mostly upset because that game gave Rider Nation hope...HOPE...and there they were in BC breaking our hearts yet again this season.

Where do we go from here?

One view is the Roughriders need to make some trades for draft picks. I have a really hard time with that belief. Who do you trade? I had thoughts back in training camp days but now and with injuries in consideration I'm not ready to part ways with these guys who I've grown to love so much. I also know, and it's the pessimist in me, Riders often trade people and then they go on to have stellar careers elsewhere and usually have the games of their lives against us.

I posted some painfully brutal comments following Saturday's game. This team, playing the way they did, don't deserve to win a game nor do they deserve a play off spot. Our team is under sized, slow, unmotivated, and poorly coached.
Corey Chamblin stacked his coaching staff with people who could not or would not challenge him. I don't know if that's ego or just the belief that he could control everything. I feel for Bob Dyce because he's inherited this mess. He has an offensive coordinator in Jaques Chapdelaine who really doesn't believe in what I consider “rider football” because he refuses to use the run game. The defensive coordinator Greg Quick shows sparks of potential but when it comes to the secondary..... * grimace *. 

The Roughriders need a complete revamp.

BUT we won the 2013 Grey Cup.

Sure. We did. Look at us now.

Ugh.

For interest sake:
Riders Grey Cup 1966. Record in 1968 12-3. Lost west final.
Riders Grey Cup 1989. Record in 1991 6-12. Finished 4th in west.
Riders Grey Cup 2007. Record in 2009 10-7. I won't remind you.
Riders Grey Cup 2013. Record in 2015..... NOW.

We are not making the playoffs.

Period.

It's just not our time. As actor Kim Coates remarked several weeks ago (to paraphrase) “we had our time in the sun and now it's time to let someone else shine.”

I just wish it wasn't so painful.

I love this team. I'm still watching the remaining games. I'll still wear my Rider jersey. I know that whatever happens from this point on is what happens but for once in a long time I'm looking forward to the off season.

Can't possibly lose in the off season.

Is it June yet?


No comments:

Post a Comment