Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Paint the World PINK

It's an interesting time we're living in. In the last week, I was unfollowed on Twitter for being judgemental, bashed for not wanting to pay higher taxes for something the government has no right to be involved in, and told the Pink campaign for breast cancer awareness is a scam. This can only mean one thing...the Riders are not only losing but have finally “officially” been “mathematically” eliminated from the 2015 Grey Cup play offs.

I'm a strong prairie woman. Your opinion on any social media platform means little to me. Elections bring out the worst in people and even though I try to maintain my belief of don't discuss politics and religion, sometimes things slip out. Hey, if I have to see your silly Anyone But Conservative slogan time after time, my little share with our Prime Minister in a guitar factory should be okay. But what really got me angry was when I saw a photo criticizing football players and cheerleaders for wearing pink for breast cancer awareness month.

Apparently, “pink washing” is a thing.

Who knew?

Prior to 2010 CFL players were not allowed under CFL regulations to wear anything during practice or games that were not considered regulation football uniforms. In 2007 Roughriders Marcus Chunky Adams made the news by wearing pink shoelaces to show support for his mother who had been diagnosed with breast cancer. I cite him because I recall his story more easily but there were other CFL players who were ambassadors for breast cancer awareness as well. These men fought for the ability for CFL players to wear pink during games as a sign of support for female fans and family members. This is why every CFL team takes turns during the month of October to wear pink.



Back in 2011 the Roughriders sold Touchdown for Dreams bandanas at their Rider Stores. They came in a set of two; one to be worn and the other to be signed and returned to Taylor Field at Mosaic Stadium as a massive show of support for those battling cancer. I bought one and had my piano students sign it and then it was sent to the football game.

Touchdown for Dreams is a partnership between Cameco, the Saskatchewan Cancer Agency and the Saskatchewan Roughriders. The program holds different events to promote early detection programs. They also sell pink items and merchandise through the month of October to grant wishes and dreams to women who have life threatening diagnosis of cancer.

In January of this year I received a courageous phone call from my older Sister. She informed me that she had been diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer. It was found through an ultrasound as a follow up to a routine mammogram. To date, she's had seven rounds of chemo, surgery to remove the cancer, and radiation treatments. She's been the most amazing woman I've ever known. In the face of a potentially life threatening situation she continually shared her story through facebook posts and often professing how grateful she was for each day. Her prognosis is very good. My sister has always been a fighter and I knew from day one cancer picked a fight with the wrong lady.

Because of my Sister's story and even though I'm younger than she is, I've taken action and talked to my doctor about screening. Not everyone has an older sister as amazing as mine who urges you to start the conversation. Not everyone has a son like Marcus Adams to help change a whole sports league to one who paints the field pink. If you happen to see a cheerleader wearing pink it may just encourage you to get screened. Early detection can save your life. I think that's complete reality and not a scam at all.

As I sit here writing this blog in my cancer awareness tee shirt purchased at Penningtons, there are other campaigns which the CFL supports. Check out Roughriders John Chick's support of Sun Life Kick Diabetes where there are different challenges with other CFLers as well as screening to find out if you are at risk for diabetes. Injured Rider Shea Emry is also an ambassador for mental health awareness and last week as a show of support Investors Group Field was lit up in purple.

Aren't Canadian Football League players amazing?!

Before Lambeau Leaping to conclusions, consider yourself or your family in these situations. Don't paint with the same brush. You may find yourself needing this tremendous show of support some day and regretting you didn't listen.

CFL – this normally green clad rabid Rider fan salutes your efforts.

In October, let's paint the world pink and for the love of Gainer start the conversation with your doctor.

Rider Nation needs you.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Sandra. My SIL is undergoing chemo at present following surgery and is another amazing woman as is my MIL who has just had surgery at 87. I'm all for pink! Busy crocheting chemo hats right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment!
      Cancer has been a thing to not hit my family at all. My sister was the first. She was also an ex smoker. She's been completely fortunate in all areas. I can't believe how smoothly her treatments seemed to go and the courage she's portrayed. I'm sure your family is seeing similar traits.
      My niece crocheted hats for us all last fall!

      Delete