Tuesday, March 22, 2016

First World Football Problems

Part-time fan.

Band wagon-er.

Terms used to describe a persons love or lack-there-of for a certain sports team. I used to say these things myself, but I've taken strides to refrain from doing so any longer. I want to be a Rider fan who not only supports her team but helps elevate the entire CFL. But what does being a fan look like?

In Saskatchewan, and particularly being a Roughriders fan, it looks green. You wear green and the team logo not only on game day but any other day of the week as well. You cheer for them through wins and losses (and God knows there are far more losses than wins.) It's trips to the Rider Store to see what's new and buying another “thing” that you really don't need because you have several other “things” already at home. It's standing in line in the pouring rain to greet players and get autographs. It's time spent in front of the TV enduring yet another commentary by Rod Black. It's game tickets, tanks of gas, hotel rooms, time off work and countless other things.

Some fans travel from far distances which involve plane tickets and finding accommodations. One fan, Devin Heroux, went to every single home and away game one year. Imagine the price tag that racks up! I'm relatively lucky because going to a game is only a day trip. Living in Saskatoon isn't ideal for football games and it means not being able to get to Thursday or Friday games. There's only so much time your boss will allow you to take off while using “football” as the reason. As much as I would love season tickets, it's just not feasible...money wise or for the fact that the waiting list is more than hundreds long.

Do you need or require season tickets to be a fan?

That sounds just plain wrong. Of course not. Can I appreciate the long career of Henry Burris while living in the United States? Can I love George Strait but never see him in concert? Can I adore paintings but never see a Vincent van Gogh? Can I cheer for Dale Jr and never see a Nascar race in person? Can I be a blogger and Rider fan while choosing to go to 5 games over 11?

Yes.

Hell yes.

Last week, the Saskatchewan Roughriders unveiled the new pricing structure for the new Mosaic Stadium. The stadium is 77% completed and is going to look amazing and I suspect there won't be a bad sight line in the entire place. Having just spent $800+ on a 5 game (10 ticket) Flex Pack, I can say it looked pretty good to me since that was close to the silver tier of pricing for 2017 season tickets.



So I got myself in a bit of a dust up. In the transition from Old Mosaic to New Mosaic Stadium season ticket seating will be moved around. Remember, this is the fan base who always wants change but never wants to see it to fruition. It's possible depending on where one is situated now that they might have to move to a less desirable local in the new stadium seated with people they don't have a report with from an angle they didn't bargain for. I've seen a few people say they'd even give up their season tickets than take end zone seats. And here's where I stuck my foot in my mouth...I said something like “that's not showing support for the team and the future.” What I really meant was...it's a new stadium and the beginning of an incredible future for this team we bleed for and you'd fold all your cards because of your seat? I never meant that support or loyalty isn't there. I never meant to question being a fan. I didn't mean that you spend your Rider Store money differently than anyone else. Yet, somehow, I am told that this is exactly what I did.

Then...

...THEN, I was told I can't have an opinion because I'm not a season ticket holder.

Huh.

SO typical, Rider Nation. You are loved as long as you think like me but as soon as your beliefs are challenged you are dead to me. This over reaction is what other CFL fans hate most about us and what they love to make fun of us for.

I cannot keep calm, I am a Roughriders fan.”

Le sigh.

If someone wants to give up their season tickets (and lose their opinion) because of the seating transition at New Mosaic Stadium then I'm sure an opinion-less fan on the waiting list would LOVE to be elevated to the status of season ticket holder. It all seems very silly though to be completely honest. I suspect the transition will end up being fine and the hard feelings will blow over in time.


I'm going to be gone for a while. Out. Of. The. Country. I'm visiting the Big Apple and Washington DC over the Easter holiday. Soon after it's music festival season, then training camp and before we know it...the first game of the CFL season will be here. Riders play the Toronto Argonauts on the evening of June 30th. I'll be in section 25 Row 35 if you want to come say hi. I'll be the one in green.

No comments:

Post a Comment