Wednesday, March 9, 2016

It's Not June Yet

So a good friend asked me the other day, “Sandra, what's the temperament of Ridernation?”

Firstly, I think it's pretty cool that I can have these type of conversations despite the issue that many people are still shocked that I not only like football but that I love it and follow not only my Saskatchewan Roughriders but the whole CFL league. Apparently I don't look like a fan. How much green to I have to wear to convince people? Is there ever too much green?

Secondly, I've got the answers. The temperament of the average Roughriders fan is mixed and somewhat divided. This isn't new. Every time you think it's gotten better and the emotion has died off something else happens to ruffle the feathers. Some love the Chris Jones regime, others hate him and others just hate his personality but love the coach. There are still (in March – 2 months later) fans who bring up the whole Chick/Dressler releases. Ridernation doesn't forget much.

In contrast, there are fans such as myself who are completely encouraged by all the changes going on from coaching to recruitment to free agent signings. Misery loves company and in our social media age it is more popular to complain and pout than to be positive and enthusiastic. I once stated the louder voice isn't necessarily the correct voice nor the voice of reason. I stand by that and at the same time I also know that some of these voices will be the first ones cheering and going crazy with the first touchdown of the 2016 season while those of us who never lost faith roll our eyes.


Defining times in Roughrider history for me is hearing Corey Chamblin say things like “I guess that's how they're going to call it.” in regards to the new rules for 2015 and the referee’s calling interference penalties. Our undersized DB's had to play man to man instead of zone defence and the coaches stubbornness to conform to the new rules set in motion the demise of the whole season. The refs are calling the penalties that way because that's what the rules are. Period. Also, our undersized slower receivers were helpless against the taller DB's of other teams. Chris Jones has fixed this HUGE issue. You might not like how he's done it but in one swoop he upgraded the secondary and receiving corps.

Thank you Chris Jones! I've been waiting for someone who has the guts to make the tough decisions and stand by them. I applaud you!

Ridernation is passionate in all facets. Fans can be the kindest and warmest and the meanest and rudest all rolled into one ball of green and white. In February, I
Smartie loving Shawn Lemon & myself
went to the Rider Store at Lawson Heights Mall to meet three of the Roughriders. The line wasn't very long and I suspect that was due to two things a) it wasn't publicized well and b) fans didn't really know who the guys were. But I knew! ...and I was glad to be able to inform the elderly man who stood in front of me in line. Nic Demski, Shawn “Lemondrops” Lemon and the “Terrorist” Tearius George. What a great group of guys. I watched them greet people and kids of all ages and I got to see a jovial tender side of the players that I didn't know existed. I offered to take pictures for the elderly gentleman and did so with his cell phone. He was so thrilled to meet these players. We are family. Rider fans are my people.

It was brought to my attention that I have a history of disastrous happenings occurring after I've met players. At this point I really hate to bring it up, however over the course of several years I've realized that after I've met Roughriders players they've either been released or gotten injured. It is true and I hang my head in shame. I bought the Fantuz Flakes cereal and he left for the NFL then later went to the Hamilton TigerCats. I bought the Getzlaf cereal and he's been consistently injured and is now an Edmonton Eskimo. However, this is almost unforgivable...I bought Dario's and had them signed by Darian at the Co-Op in August of 2014 merely a week before the Labour Day Classic and he's been injured ever since. I've already pledged to stop buying CFL Co-Op themed cereal but this should also stand as a warning to any player I have met or will meet in the future.



I am not a season ticket holder mainly because living in Saskatoon it's tough to get to all the games. I am a proud flex ticket holder though. * smile * A few weeks ago I got an email from the Roughriders unveiling the new choose and pay system. Wow what a huge improvement! I used to have to fill out a shopping list and then wait to see if I got the tickets I wanted. Now it's all done online and I can choose different seats for different games. It's awesome. Hubby and myself will be going to 5 games this season. It's the Farewell Season and no rabid fan could possible stay away. I wish the home opener wasn't a late Thursday night game but it doesn't matter....I'm going to be there. I think every home game will be increasingly epic until the lights dim October 28th. My 80 year old dad wants me to “swipe a piece.” I'm sure there will be a bit of that going on.

Taylor Field at Mosaic Stadium has seen the worst of times and then glowed like the grand jewel she was in 2013. Tears will be shed. At the same time, we are living in the best of times and 2016 will be one for the history books. I can see tomorrow from here and it's all green and white.



No comments:

Post a Comment