Friday, March 27, 2020

My First CFL Game

"Write about your very first CFL game", he said.

"It was Calgary.  Darian spent the game looking at the sky.  The end."  I said.

Ok.  So maybe it wasn't quit like that but it sure seemed a lot like that.

Picture it.  The year was 2010 and we had decided to go on a road trip to Calgary.  Hubby lived there for a while and jumped at the chance to see his old 'stomping grounds'.  

Here is a major issue.  It was 2010 July 24th to be exact and even though that was only 10 years ago I didn't have a smart phone and if I took pictures they aren't on any computer I own now.  I have zero proof of this trip.  I'm sure there's a USB stick somewhere I haven't checked...

We had borrowed my dad's GPS which took us on a tour of Acme Alberta.  I'll never forget.  This is the point at which we realized the GPS was of no use to us at all.  The highway goes straight passed Acme but the GPS decided we should drive through it instead.

* face palm *

Just outside Calgary the sky grew very dark and before you knew it us and all other traffic was pulled into ditches as hellish hail plummeted around us.  My car was fairly new.  I don't know how it came out unscathed but it did.  Cars in Calgary didn't fair as well.  The car lots located near our hotel and McMahon Stadium had giant dents in them.

We spent the week taking in all the sights of Calgree - we went to the zoo where my favourite attraction was the dinosaurs and not actual animals.  We went shopping because stores like Sephora weren't in Saskatchewan yet. We ate at Big T's. One thing was apparent, Rider fans wore their colours everywhere which seemed to bewilder Calgarians because we were asked everywhere we went if there was a game or something.

We stayed in a hotel across the street from McMahon stadium and we had really only booked for 3 days so when we went to extend our stay there were no rooms available however the staff said they'd work something out.  We were upgraded to a suite.  Wow,  and at no additional charge to us.  There was a continental breakfast and every morning Hubby would go down and return with waffles or "wobbles" as we've since coined them.  You see the machine to make them had to be rotated hence the wobbling part.  It's weird how some things stick with you.

So here's the thing.  I really had no idea that tail gating was a real thing.  I hadn't given it much thought.  I guess I figured it was something you saw on tv because...well, tv.  So when we treaded over the walkway to McMahon Stadium and I saw what was going on I was flabbergasted...shocked...amazed...thrilled.

It was a super hot cloudless day.  It was so hot in the stands that the fellow sitting in the next row with all the body paint gradually sweating down his body had to leave and shower.  I don't remember the score but the Riders lost.  Darian did indeed get sacked a lot.  There was no relief.  That was until a miniscule cloud floated over the stadium and for a few brief seconds we were shaded.  We trudged back over the pedestrian walk way.

But wait there was evidence.  I've found a very bad video which I had posted on my old youtube channel. Here it is with brand new commentary...



No comments:

Post a Comment