Wednesday, March 4, 2020

The Grey Cup Logo Gets My 👎

Long before Randy Ambrosie started his cross country popularity tour the logo for the 108th Grey Cup in Regina was unveiled.  It's green.  Is it anything special and unique?  Definitely not.  In fact, it is literally interchangeable with the 107th Grey Cup logo and possibly even the 106th as well.  
This is a side by side comparison of last year & this year. 

Randy Ambrosie was in Regina on "Randy's Roadtrip" which I think is his attempt to connect with fans in every CFL city.  While in Regina, which apparently had 200 in attendance, he talked about the state of the league and promoted his global dream CFL 2.0.  He also helped to promote the Grey Cup festivities for 2020.  The Grey Cup will be held all in one area so it's completely accessible to fans and for the first time ever will be free to attend.  An understated part of the announcement is that it will also include the League of Legends tournament.  If you talk to someone who partakes in this - it is HUGE.  

So let me take a step back here for a second.  My Grey Cup tickets (which I've chosen not to purchase) were $400 each.  That means for myself and my husband to attend the game it would cost $800 and that's with the $25 discount the Roughriders gave season ticket holders.  Let me contain my excitement.  So the Grey Cup festival better be free in my opinion.  Who can afford all this?

Stack a hotel room, gas or flight dollars and food expenses on top of that too!

The province stands to make a gopher hole full of tourism money.

The fangirl in me says "but Sandra it's all worth it if the Riders win at home again." It could be yes.  Celebration in Ridernation was amazing on so many levels.

That logo.

I tend to keep my eyes on the merchandise the Roughriders and CFL produce.  Several seasons ago I posted a blog which went semi-viral about the sizing of merchandise and the quality of it all.  I know that since that time great strides have been made and the merchandise has really improved with new sponsors coming on board.  However, does this new Grey Cup design make you want to rush out to the nearest Rider Store and buy it all?  It doesn't for me.  I mean it's green and I'm sure it will sell regardless but I'm afraid to say - it's boring.  If it's only fractionally different than the last 2 designs why do I need it?

Oh and how much does that green Grey Cup merch cost?  The most inexpensive tee shirt is $30.  Want a zip up ladies sweater?  That's $104.  Would you pay that much for a sweater in any other store?  Likely not.

We know that Roughrider merchandise sells.  Slap that logo on a loaf of bread and we will flock to the store for it.

Let's also remember that the Riders recently closed stores in Saskatoon.  To get this merchandise you'll have to go to the new store at Midtown Plaza or order online if you don't live in Regina.  Why are they closing stores?  That doesn't seem like a good thing for the team with the greatest spread of fans does it.

I seem like I'm whining here and yes well I am.  I just remember all too well how the city of Saskatoon spent tax payer money to come up with “rRemai” and I hope the same isn’t true for the CFL logo.  I love that my team and province get to hold this event once again.  I'd love it even more if the Roughriders can repeat their 2013 at home win.  We all have to wait and see if that comes to fruition.  I know one team would love to spoil our fun.  Meanwhile, the pressure is on.



No comments:

Post a Comment