Monday, June 24, 2013

Game Day Cookies

Everyone is talking about who got cut from the roster and how sad it is and all that stuff.  Yes, I feel bad for those guys like Eddie Russ who are great people but as we know, it is part of this crazy sport that we love.  So.....What better to soothe an achy heart than baking?  You will need a snack for game day after all.

I bought my football cookie cutters at Michael's.  I was just there on the weekend and they don't have them anymore.  But I know that you can also order them from Amazon.com or I'm sure a bunch of other online sources.


When I made these cookies, I must confess, I used the Betty Crocker mix.  I know.  I know.  Shameful.  If you have the time my Mom's Sugar Cookie recipe is much better.

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter (or margarine or shortening0
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Combine all ingredients.  Form into a roll, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.

Roll out and use cookie cutters.

Bake at 350*C for approx. 8 minutes.  This recipe makes approx 5 dozen cookies.

The Betty Crocker mix makes considerably less.

I also took a short cut when it came to frosting the cookies.  Yeah.  I bought it too.  But you can get great tasting frosting in ready to decorate tubes at your local grocery store.  I like to shop at the Co-Op.....you know because of all the other game day treats like.... Geroy's Super Cream & Onion Ripple Chips.


So once you have your green and white frosting.....because why would you need any other colours? ..... you can decorate the cookies.

Mine turned out pretty great!




4 comments:

  1. I can answer that! G - like the letter g Roy - just like it sounds. G-roy.

    Sandra those cookies look delish! My favorite thing to do at Christmas (still) is make my Mom's friends Great Aunt Mary's sugar cookies and icing -4 colors/flavors- and make and decorate shape cookies. Lemon yellow stars, almond pink bells, peppermint green trees and wreaths (with pink bows) and coconut white snowmen and polar bears. We all (mom & sis & I) all take turns rolling and icing and decorating with sprinkles and stars for the tree tops and just fun! Thanks for a good memory. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to do cookies at xmas too! I have a TON of cookie cutters. I used to make cookies with my Mom too....as a little girl. There's a George Strait song about christmas cookies...he says something like they're his favorite because he gets to eat them! lol
      By the way....these were not the cookies I took to training camp. Those were a cake mix recipe which I'll save for another day.

      Delete