Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Things I Learned at Training Camp

My sparkly sneakers....just chillin' in the stands.
 I am a surprisingly nice person at 6:55am.  I hustled around and got ready for my first experience at Rider Training Camp.  As I was later told by a curly-green&white-wig wearing fellow, the ladies gotta represent.  I dropped Hubby off at work and treated myself to a Timmies breakfast sandwich and cafe mocha before heading to Griffith Stadium.  I arrived about 8:30 after hiking from the parking lot off Preston, which if you didn't know, is free.  But don't park there because then I won't have a spot!

I sat on the 55 yard line.


After snapping a few photo's with the Canon Rebel, I quickly realized we need a better zooming lens.  I've reviewed pics and need to fix and crop and such.  The other thing is that I am sooooo out of practice and easily distracted.  The team would break off into practice groups and I found there was so much going on I didn't know which way to look.  I am a girl after all.

Greg Carr.  Holy doodle is he a tall boy.  I saw him get a nice grab.  Anyone else would have had to jump and leap.....or get a step ladder, while he just reached up like it was no biggie.  Chris Getzlaf looked good.  I saw him get a few nice short passes.  I saw Geroy Simon drop a few and I saw the coach not let him get away with it.  Taj Smith was notable. I thought Robb Bag looked like a beast.  He looked good and healthy.  Where is his Co-Op Game Day cereal, huh?  I think the big story is Weston Dressler.  He played all out.  All or nothing.  Go hard or go home.

Also heard another receiver went home today.  He wasn't cut.....just went home. Yamon Figurs was his name.  Apparently, he was supposed to be very promising.  We will never know.

I enjoyed watching Kory Sheets and Jock Sanders.  I think there's something brewing there.

The snap calls have changed.  They seemed more 'american'.  Instead of the familiar "1-81, 1-82" they were replaced with words.  After hearing them all morning, would you believe I can't remember them now?  Ugh!

I was surprised by the media.  Some are dressed in suits while some look like they want to be rock stars.  It was an interesting mix.  I think the real rock star was Rod Pederson, who came to the fence and chatted with some fans.  He spoke with them for a really long time.  I thought that was really cool for them and for him to take the time to do it.

I had a moment of panic when a media crew started interviewing fans in the stands.  I thought "I'm not prepared!  I didn't think of anything witty to say!"  But they didn't talk to me in the end.  Whew!

At the end of practice, Scott McHenry came over and talked to the same fans who Rod Pederson had spoken to.

I'm somewhat glad that practice ended when it did because it was getting really hot.  At 8am it was only +4 and I'm sure it was 20 by the time practice was done and there wasn't a cloud in the sky.  Later in the day, I realized I was actually sun burnt on my neck/chest area.  I wear spf 30 with titanium dioxide for a sun allergy.  Weird, I know, but even more weird to get a sun burn.  Oh and only I have the talent for getting the lovely tan line of my rider necklace.

I was happier than a June bug to go to practice this morning.  I'm not sure I'll make it back this week.  But I have big plans to go to Green & White Day on Saturday at Griffith Stadium at 2pm.  They're having an autograph session!  The excitement in Riderville North never ceases!







6 comments:

  1. I don't burn that badly and I still don't go out in the sun without long sleeves and a big, floppy hat. When I do burn, I don't notice it until it's far too late. Glad you had fun! You still got some nice photos even if your husband does need to get a bigger lens :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took 50 pictures. These were only a few. I didn't want to post them all here. Some are small or wide while others I wonder what I was taking a picture of lol

      I was totally protected from the sun. I guess I just didn't have enough sun screen on that area. My legs and arms and face were untouched.

      Delete
  2. Glad your day was full and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it is nice when the fans get chatted up.

    When I am famous, I am always going to slip out the back so I don't have to give autographs. It is going to be part of my mystic.

    ReplyDelete