Sunday, August 26, 2012

Around the Watercooler

I'm not the only Roughrider fan in the province who has a sinking heart today.  The main difference between myself and many other fans is I'm having my Sunday morning coffee and relaxing on a cloudy day, while many others are busy calling for the firing or release of players and coaches and even booing.....yes, booing the whole team.

It's sad.

What has happened to Ridernation?

Where did people get the idea that they had the right to say these things and behave in this manner?  It makes me shake my head and grimace.

I admit, even I moaned when Chris Getzlaf dropped his first catch of the game.  I feel so bad for the guy.  I know he really can catch the ball even though I feel he's got the Curse of the Cereal [see previous blog].  Would I boo the guy?  No.  And yes, I also admit I had the idea maybe he should be benched until he works his issues out.  But I'm not the coach and it's a really good thing I'm not.  I'm sure I'd have them running in circles and they'd be more mixed up than they were in the first three quarters of yesterday's game.

It's really easy to sit on the couch at home and watch games.  I can see running lanes open up and see receivers out in the open.  Sure, it's pretty easy at that point to say "Run!  Run the ball!" but what we don't see is what is going on down field.  Maybe some receivers are covered, maybe a route is blown, or an assignment is missed.  We don't really know what the story is.

So many people are on Darian Durant's case.  I feel bad for him too.  How many other quarterbacks have the  Ridernation ran out of town?  How much of what Darian does is poor play calling or bad decisions?  He can be brilliant as he scrambles away and a dominator when he uses his legs.  A dropped ball is not his fault.  How much criticism can Darian endure before he's decided he's had enough?  I hope to not find out.

I've also heard the phrase "real fans go to games."  What?  I'm a real fan.  I'm passionate about the game too.  Just because I'm not at Mosaic Stadium, does that mean I'm not a fan?  I'd rather not drive 4 hours to Regina to sit in the heat or rain behind someone who is either drunk or oogling the cheerleaders.  No thanks.  I have a better seat at home in my temperature controlled castle.  I've been to games and sure, it is fun and exciting and a thing to experience, but are you any less of a fan for not attending a game?  No.

It seems to me that the biggest adjustment that has to be made is by the fans.  It's not enough to spout off about the players and coaches you have to ridicule other fans too.  

It's shameful.

And a province of fans that were show cased and given an award by the CFL in 2010 should try to be a better model for other football teams instead of what not to emulate.   Before pointing the finger at players, coaches and fans, try looking inwards first.


 

4 comments:

  1. Being at the ballpark can be overrated. Everything is outrageously expensive. Sit in the sun and you bake. Sit in the shade and you freeze. If you're like my parents, your seats are in the nosebleed section, so you need binoculars to watch the game, and then you end up missing a lot. The best thing about being at the games is spending time with my dad and remembering what a rabid fan mom was. Oh, and drinking a beer or two with the guys whose seats have been next to dad's for the last thirty something years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dad used to go occasionally with a couple of his brothers. They always had a great time. Part of the fun was the trip there since they had to travel about 6 hours. So stopping for lunch etc was great fun.

      It's true. The last football game I was at we were in the nosebleed section.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a sports fan at all but when I do watch, it is lazing in the comfort of a nice cozy lounge. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was younger I was a hockey fan and going to a hockey game is totally different than going to a football game...at least here. I support my team by buying merchandise and going out to events when I can, but don't say I'm not a fan if I'm not at a game. I can be a huge fan of a singer and never see them in concert. It doesn't change anything.

      Yes. Sitting in the living room with our pop and chips is very comfortable!

      Delete