Thursday, August 9, 2012

Football is MY Metaphor for Life

Football.

Growing up I didn't care much, but admittedly the Riders were pretty bad back then.  Not only bad, but the laughing stock of the league.  No one wanted to play for the Riders and times were bleak and the team almost folded.  Then along came a new breed, a coach that proclaimed "we will win" and the team did.  Those dark days are gone and not only is hope on the horizon once again but an expectation across the province that we will not only win, but live and lead our lives in  such a way that losing is not an option.

I'm not just talking about rules of the game - 3 down, 12 man football.  I'm talking about a way of life......a code of conduct.  If I work hard at whatever my job is whether it be wife, teacher, citizen, fan, I will be successful.  If I am a responsible person and do everything in such a fashion as to realize my life has a domino effect - not only will I succeed, but so will others involved.  I work hard, I am loyal, I've got your back and I will NOT let you down.

I have several students who are preparing for musical exams this upcoming February.  They are only 20 minute exams in which many requirements need to not only be met but, in my opinion, exceeded.  The student performs 5 pieces, recalls technical skills and demonstrates other talents through sight and ear abilities.  I told one such student last week that a mark of 60% is a pass.....but I expect much more.  I told her there is no reason not to get anything less than 80%.  That's what I expect and that's what she's going to work towards - if she works to her full potential.  I know she will.  We are a team and she will not let me down.

You don't have to like football or know any kind of sport to believe this way.  Living this way is like following a thin green line though.  I know that when I show boat it totally backfires on me.  If I am thinking selfishly the rest of the domino's fall.  When I walk the line, I succeed.  And I make the choice, as life is also about choices.  And in my life it all does come around to football. 

My team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders live this very code.  They play as a team, win or lose, have heart and soul in everything they do.  Their legacy is going to live on beyond the confines of the field, the next game, the next Western Final and yes, even the next Grey Cup.

We all believe.  We will succeed.  Together.


No comments:

Post a Comment