Thursday, August 30, 2012

Labour Day Classic 2007

It was Labour Day in 2007 that I witnessed my community come alive.  This was the season of dreams when every long suffering fan’s biggest wish would finally come true.  It was the the season of the Black Out, when Rider Day was proclaimed and the year the Grey Cup finally made its way home for only the 3rd time.  The impact that these things had was much more than what happened on the football field.

My neighbours across the street, who we have since coined “The Rider Fans” began wearing their Rider shirts for game day.  It’s a tradition they still have and now include their two little children.  They are much bigger supporters of Tim Horton’s than myself and coming home with a round of Double Double’s work for them but just doesn’t have the same impact for us.  Rider fans aren’t just a little ‘stitious…..we’re SUPERstitious.

At the grocery store people began to wear their green and white proudly.  We’d talk to each other…..”Nice jersey”  “Thanks”  “Where’d you get it?”  It was just the beginning of a new kind of gang where Next Year Country was becoming This Year Country.  It’s not uncommon to see people in Rider garb along with decorated businesses, car flags and license plates.  We began to wear our hearts on our sleeves and indeed prove that pride does live here.

My neighbourhood is usually quiet.  People stick to themselves except for the slight neighbourly hello from across the street.  On this Labour Day we were all tucked into our houses in wild anticipation of what the Classic would bring.  I don’t remember much of the game, to be honest.  I remember we did have a knack for pulling out a win in the last minutes…..seconds of any given game and that’s exactly what happened when then quarterback Kerry Joseph ran the ball in for the winning touchdown. 

Afterwards we headed out into the yard to give our lilac bush a hair cut.  Everyone else was spilling out into their yards and street.  Lawn mowers started, cars drove away and down the street a little boy tossed a football to an adult.  “Do you like football?” he asked.  Yes, indeed we liked football.  It connected us all if only for a time or moment.


4 comments:

  1. I don't understand the love of football, but I do understand the power of connection. I am glad you have it in a game that gives you so much joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the funny thing about football is...just when you think you know the rules...the refs do something and it turns out your didn't know anything after all. So you never truly know the game, in my opinion.

      Sometimes the game just brings us all together. Like the Olympics does. It unites us all for one cause.

      Delete
  2. I grew up in a sports family [understatement]. Football was BIG. We did the whole thing. Highschool, college, pro. We watched and cheered them all. When I went out on my own football became a past experience. I didn't miss it. Matt's father and his family were rabid behind the local pro team here and Sundays at their house had the foundations and rafters shaking. Matt has the gene. When he moved back home to help me out I found myself once again becoming involved in football [have you ever found yourself dragged kicking and screaming into something only to find you're having a good time?] Anyway, each Fall season is one of anticipation around here and we watch the games and cheer on the home team. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in a hockey family. We felt like that about hockey. And then somehow hockey changed and now I don't watch it at all unless it's the olympics or junior championships. It's only the last 10 years I've really gotten into football. My dad was always into it but it wasn't a priority. Now it's something Hubby and I enjoy and obsess over together.

      In Canada, the CFL season started in July. The university and junior football is just getting under way. It all wraps up around November because of winter. I have a hard time getting into the NFL but do manage to catch the college "bowls". I have a brother in law who is a big Boise State fan.

      Delete