Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Curse of the Cereal

The Riders sprang out of the gate winning 3 straight games and exuding spirit and confidence. Then the wheels seemed to fall off the team bus. I'm not one to lay blame and I would never do that to one of the team members or coaches either. So I've searched my heart and soul for some other possible explanation for dropped balls, missed catches and interceptions where there weren't any previously and it has nothing to do with the shirt I wear, how I do my make up or any other game day tradition.

Nope.

It comes down to the only conceivable thing.

The curse of the cereal.

On July 29th, 2010 the Roughriders and Federated Co-Operative launched Fantuz Flakes. According to the Leader Post, it was directly after a win against Edmonton. Ironic. It was a very tasty almond oatmeal cereal and immediately sold out. A successful second edition was later released.


Now the curse didn't spring into effect immediately, although it may have played a part in the 2010 Grey Cup. Instead, it waited until the off season. That's when Andy Fantuz became a Chicago Chipmunk....er, I mean Bear. And I wished him luck. I really really did. But when he didn't make the NFL roster and returned for the end of the dismal 2011 season, he was never able to make the same impact, got injured and finally was signed by the Ti-Cats for this season.

In the teams efforts to move on in 2011, Darian's Dari-O's were released. And if memory serves correctly, they were launched at the very beginning of the season. Poor Darian Durant was plagued the whole season by an O-line that couldn't protect him, interceptions, turn overs and screw ups from baubled snaps.


I could just rest my case here. It's obvious the cereal is to blame. But no. The year is now 2012 and the Roughriders have moved on in so many levels.....except this year on July 21st there was the launch of Getzlaf Triple Berry Waggle Cereal. This was supposed to be Chris Getzlaf's break out year. It might be. It still could be. He could be incredible.....if he could only catch and secure the ball.

Batman & Robin

So you see the curse of the cereal is truly the only plausible explanation. What's going to happen next year? All I know is, if someone approaches you with a new Roughrider cereal idea.....I'd be heading for the hills because I'm convinced the Curse of the Cereal will soon follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment