Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Breakfast of Champions

Well.  OK.  It wasn’t breakfast.  It was lunch.  And a late lunch at that.  And never mind that I’m not a champion either.

Armchair Quarterbacks are a type of champion.

Right?

So.  What are we having?
 


Co-Op Gameday Approved Roughrider Pancakes of course!  We’re talking green pancakes.  I’ve never had green food before.  We are not talking about the back-of-the-fridge-science-experiment food here.  They are green of course and Bursting with “Blitz Bitz”, which if you read the ingredients are dyed cornmeal bits.



I’m not certain if that’s what Aunt Jemima’s mix looks like.  I rarely make pancakes.  I must also add that there are also directions for making this mix into waffles.  Since I do not own a waffle iron…..pancakes are the safer bet.

The directions are simple.  Add 1 cup of water to 2 cups of mix.  Well, I am only one person so I didn’t feel like cooking a whole bunch of pancakes and having left over pancakes.  So I halved the “recipe.”  I know what you’re saying…..”how to you expect it to turn out if you don’t follow the instructions?”  Well.  Pfft.  As they say in New York.  WHATEVAH! 

So I added a 1/2 cup of water to 1 cup of mix.  I ended up adding a little more water because it was a little thick and sticking in my whisk.  It did say to use a whisk.  See?  I can follow directions!



It kinda just looks like a regular mix with green dots in it.

I sprayed my non-stick pan with PAM and ladled some mix into it.  I am really amazed with this mix!  They puffed up a lot.  They made healthy sized pancakes!



My Dad is a Pancake Connoisseur.  My Dad loves to make breakfast food.  He makes the bestest pancakes EVAR!  Because of my observant nature and years of surviving….er, I mean, enjoying Dad’s pancakes, I have learned that you cook the pancakes until bubbles come to the top of the batter and then you flip them.

My pan was a little too much PAM’ed.  They were slippery little suckers but I got them flipped. 

Now.  This is an important thing for me.  I do not believe that fruit and pancakes mix.  No way!  So I put a little Imperial Margarine and some ED Smith pancake syrup on top.  I like ED Smith because it’s sweetened with grape juice rather than other sugars.  Dang.  Did I just break my no fruit rule?  Meh, whatevah!



I really like this mix.  The pancakes aren’t totally green and the Blitz Bits don’t taste like anything but because the mix is completely easy to use and doesn’t require eggs or any other funky ingredients, I give this a thumbs up.  AND they cook up HUGE!

You will also notice that the Co-Op also made something called Kick-Off Coffee.  I think they only made it last year.  It’s a canister of coffee beans made by Kicking Horse Coffee Company.  I think, Kick-Off coffee accompanies these pancakes perfectly.  [Say that three times fast!]

2 comments:

  1. GAH!... how do I follow you in here?!?... *looks around frantically*

    ReplyDelete