Tuesday, August 7, 2012

'stitions & Predictions

I think every sports fan is a little superstitious. Some people say it’s a ritual. A procedure of doing the same things to bring about similar results as before. The first time I ever remember feeling this way was back in elementary school when I played clarinet in the school band and insisted upon wearing my blue and yellow striped sports socks to every performance.
I recall having a lucky yellow rabbits foot as well, but it was hardly lucky for the rabbit.

So fast forward to 2007 and the year the Riders won the Grey Cup. I bought a little compact of Maybelline eye shadow called Emerald Isle. It went with my green shirt. Gradually I came to believe that this green eye shadow somehow held the secret to the team winning.

In subsequent years I tried different combinations of make up and jewellery and Rider shirts and jerseys. I ditched the Emerald Isle eye shadow for a glittery brownish green shadow in 2009/10. I tried eye liners,shadows and outfits galore. White shirts, green shirts, beads, head bands, hair clips, and Hubby will never forget the crazy green glue on eyelashes for the Halloween game last year. Even the trick or treaters at the door wondered why I had green spiders on my face.

I can’t exactly define the moment when I thought, “I know, I’ll do watermelon make up this season!” It could have had something to do with a pre-season game occurring during my work week and I needed something not so crazy. But I pulled out my Annabelle “Pinked” eye shadow and combined it with the tried and true Maybelline “Emerald Isle” …..
drew on black eyeliner and brushed on some black mascara and…..

VOILA!

I spent last week at my parents. I hadn’t seen them since April so it was time for a visit. While I was there I painted my nails a colour called “Flip Flop Fantasy”.

Hubby: That’s a bad omen.
Me: What?
Hubby: Your BC Lions nails.
Me: Pfft. Its expensive polish called Flip Flop Fantasy. The Lions wear ORANGE. [I emphasized].
Hubby: Nooo. That’s Orange all right. You have to take it off.
Me: No way. Its coral. Maybe even florescent peach. It is definitely not orange.
I held my ground.

In spite of my bad omen nails, the Roughriders have advanced to 3 – 0. Was I wearing watermelon eye shadow? You betcha. I am a rabbit…..er, rabid fan.

After the game Hubby tells me he’s left me a game note. I found this post-it stuck to the counter dated and signed. I don’t know if he’s right, but what I do know is that I’m not willing to change up my game day routine all season. This is the year of the watermelon it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment